We’ve been asked a couple of great questions by our fans:
1. Do you really want this guy as President of the United States?
Some of Crowley’s political ideas may seem strange, ludicrous, or unconscionable to you. We maintain that all Crowley’s ideas are worthy of consideration and discussion, and we are all free to come to our own conclusions and disagree with him on any subject of course. There are a couple things we’d like to encourage all our readers to keep in mind:
- Aleister Crowley is dead, British, and not running for office. No, we don’t want him as President of the United States of America. We’re not trying to win an election here. We’re trying to send a message. “The principle of popular election is a fatal folly; its results are visible in every so-called democracy. The elected man is always the mediocrity; he is the safe man, the sound man, the man who displeases the majority less than any other; and therefore never the genius, the man of progress and illumination.”
- We do not endorse every political opinion Crowley ever put forward, nor do we suggest that the U.S. should necessarily adopt them. Rather, we call attention to his central message of liberty, the Law of Thelema, as defined in Liber AL vel Legis: The Book of the Law. This can be summarized exquisitely in two verses from this text: “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law,” and “Love is the law, love under will.” It is this message which we hope someday may inform all politics, and we hope that this message will be heard everywhere. More about Thelema.
2. Who will Crowley’s running mate be?
What an excellent question! We had considered suggesting Leah Hirsig but realized that asking people to write in someone who is dead and not even from this country might be a bit much to ask. Therefore, we suggest that you write yourself in as Crowley’s running mate!
3. Are you going to have stickers and t-shirts and stuff?
You can get some very nice propaganda and souvenirs (great for conversation at parties, btw) at our CafePress store, or make your own by going to our “Send your pics” page and downloading printable images.