We have learned that Ireland has a strict new blasphemy law which came into force on January 1. What we want to know is, does this effectively make Thelema illegal in Ireland?
“I am in a secret fourfold word, the blasphemy against all gods of men.”
“[Do what thou wilt] is the most profound blasphemy possible against all ‘gods of men,’ because it makes every man his own God.”
As President, Aleister Crowley would guarantee the freedom of every person to choose any religion they wish; even dead, slave religions like Christianity. And he would certainly not sign any law making blasphemy illegal. Indeed, Ireland’s new law would put them on poor terms with the United States if Crowley was President today.
For those interested, Crowley also wrote an essay concerning blasphemy.
This oppressive restriction of speech should be met swiftly with resistance. We applaud the efforts of atheists who have published 25 blasphemous quotes on their website. We hope that Thelemites in Ireland will consider publishing our collection of quotations from Aleister Crowley’s writings on Thelema. Please feel free to print or distribute these freely as you will.
- “[Mary] hath shut herself up; and therefore is she the Queen of all those wicked devils that walk upon the earth, those that thou savest even as little black specks that stained the Heaven of Urania. And all these are the excrement of Choronzon.”
- “The Christians to the Lions!”
- “With my Hawk’s head I peck at the eyes of Jesus as he hangs upon the cross.”
- “I flap my wings in the face of Mohammed & blind him.”
- “With my claws I tear out the flesh of the Indian and the Buddhist, Mongol and Din.”
- “Bahlasti! Ompehda! I spit on your crapulous creeds.”
- “Let Mary inviolate be torn upon wheels: for her sake let all chaste women be utterly despised among you!”
- “… the orgies of Bacchus and Pan are no less sacramental than the Masses of Jesus; … the scars of syphilis are sacred and worthy of honour as much as the wounds of the martyrs of Mary.”
- “‘Jesus’ is the very fount and origin of all possible ‘evil,’ for he is synonymous with the idea of Restriction on every plane. The Christian conception of sin as the will of the natural man, the ‘Old Adam,’ is the basis of all internal conflict—of moral insanity.” — Comment to Liber Cordis Cincti Serpente
- “‘Jesus’ is not, and never was, a man; but he was a ‘god,’ just as a bundle of old rags and a kerosene tin on a bush may be a ‘god.’ There is a man-made idea, built of ignorance, fear, and meanness, for the most part, which we call ‘Jesus,’ and which has been tricked out from time to time with various gauds from Paganism, and Judaism.”
- “And Satan is worshipped by men under the name of Jesus; and Lucifer is worshipped by men under the name of Brahma; and Leviathan is worshipped by men under the name of Allah; and Belial is worshipped by men under the name of Buddha.”
- “The Christians also claim an ecstasy. But they all admit, and indeed boast, that it is the result of long periods of worry and anxiety about the safety of their precious souls: therefore their ecstasy is clearly a diseased process.”
- “…to inquire into Christianity is assuredly to mock at it”
- “The Christian insists on notorious lies being accepted as an essential part of his … system.”
- “[The Christian Mystics’] abominable religion compels them to every kind of sentimentality; and the theory of original sin vitiates their whole position, because instead of the noble and inspiring Trance of Sorrow they have nothing but the miserable, cowardly, and selfish sense of guilt to urge them to undertake the Work.”
- “[Lilith] it is that squatteth upon the Crucifix, for the nastiness of her pleasure. So that they that worship Christ suck up her filth upon their tongues, and therefore their breaths stink.”
- “Women under Christianity are kept virgin for the market as Strasbourg geese are nailed to boards till their livers putrefy. The nature of woman has been corrupted, her hope of a soul thwarted, her proper pleasure balked, and her mind poisoned, to titillate the jaded palates of senile bankers and ambassadors…”
- “Incidentally, we cannot allow people who believe in this ‘God;’ they are troglodytes, as dangerous to society as any other thieves and murderers.”
- “The sense of sin, shame, self-distrust, this is what makes folk cling to Christianity-slavery.”
- “.. almost everything that is true of Cholera is true of Christians.”
- The Christian ideas of humility and weakness as ‘virtues’ are natural to slaves, cowards, and defectives.
- “…Christianity, a faith of slaves, liars and dastards.”
- “I, To Mega Therion [The Great Beast], therefore condemn thee, Jesus the slave-god, to be mocked and spat upon and scourged and then crucified.”
- “This serpent, SATAN, is not the enemy of Man, but He who made Gods of our race, knowing Good and Evil; He bade “Know Thyself!” and taught Initiation.”
- “Do what thou wilt.”